Meander - an Easter weekend itinerary
How about a cultural experience that includes parades, circuses, produce markets, visual arts and exploration of the fine Country of the Regional Centre for Culture. We encourage visitors to meander through the region, arriving in Bendigo for the Easter Festival and recommend getting off the beaten track during the specular weather typical of Central Victoria in April: Murnong (Yam Daisy) & Ngaari (Black Duck) Time.
Thursday March 29
Flying Fruit Fly Circus presents JUNK
Head for Bendigo and see Australia's own, highly acclaimed Flying Fruit Fly Circus with their latest smash-hit show set amongst a 1940's rural junkyard. Transforming trash into magical landscapes, JUNK takes you on a journey back to a time when the neighbourhood street was a playground full of adventure and make-believe. Performances at the Ulumbarra Theatre at 12pm and 7pm. Bookings 03 5434 6100 or www.gotix.com.au
JUNK is absolutely wondrous. Grab a child and go!
Sydney Morning Herald
Now might be a good time for a drive through the Bendigo area - Heathcote and the surrounding townships are home to some of Australia's best wines, available at cellar doors and in general stores. Start at the Heathcote Wine Hub and work from there.
Friday March 30 (Good Friday)
Bendigo Easter Festival: this three-day-long mother-of-all-huge festivals draws on Bendigo’s rich Chinese and Aboriginal heritage. Friday's attractions include: the Vision Australia Easter Egg Hunt, Ag Artwear - country couture fashion, Easter Book Fair, Rotary Art and Craft Market, Rotary Easter Art Show, Connected Circus, Farmer Darryl's Animal Farm and more. Friday's details can be found here
Easter Blues Bender Festival 2018
Bendigo Blues & Roots Music Festival presents Easter Blues Bender 2018 with three days of great live music across some of Bendigo’s tastiest venues - starting Good Friday (30 March), through Easter Saturday (31 March) and Easter Sunday (1 April).
Click here for performance details - times, venues and performances suitable for people of all ages.
Saturday March 31
The Bendigo Easter Festival continues throughout the day and our special shout out goes to the evening Lantern Procession, lead this year by the Dja Dja Wurrung tram. The Easter Egg Hunt continues and in between searches, how about the Golden Dragon Museum, a ride on a fire truck and a visit to the Hargreaves Street Mall featuring activities all day long. All the details can be found here
Easter Blues Bender Festival continues. Click here for performance details - times, venues and performances suitable for people of all ages.
Today might also be the date to enjoy exhibitions at Bendigo's many museums and art galleries:
- Marimekko: Design Icon 1951 to 2018 - Bendigo Art Gallery
- Bendigo for business, sunshine and pleasure at the Post Office Gallery
- Drop into Dudley House at the top of View Street - a historic home now art space, it hosts revolving exhibitions of all kinds
- Spend a few hours at Bendigo Pottery - home to an interpretive museum, antiques and collectables centre, plus studios and galleries of artists and potters
- Go for a drive Castlemaine cultural hotspots include The Mill, the Bridge Hotel, Theatre Royal and Castlemaine Contemporary Art Space above Stoneman's Bookroom where Helen Kelly is presenting works on March 30-31.
Sunday April 1 (Easter Sunday)
Bendigo Easter Festival Gala Parade this year introduces Imperial Dragon, Dai Gum Loong. Other Easter Festival activities all day long, details here including all you need to know about the Bendigo Showgrounds Market.
A few options today: take in a show, pick up where you left off in Bendigo's galleries or get into the Country. If you're going for a drive how about Castlemaine and Maldon?
- In Bendigo The 360 Allstars present a phenomenal physical performance exploring all forms of rotation for a radical urban circus. Boasting a stellar international cast, including the two-time World Champion BMX Flatlander, two World Champion breakdancers, an internationally acclaimed basketball freestyler, and an exceptional Cyr wheel artist, 360 ALLSTARS is a spectacular fusion of the extraordinary artistry that emerges from street culture. Performances March 30-31 and April 1, Bookings 03 434 6100 or www.gotix.com.au
- Walking about Bendigo pick up where you ran out of time earlier - visit Bendigo Art Gallery, the LaTrobe Art Institute, the Post Office Gallery and the Bendigo Visitors Centre will be hosting a special Easter Paint Out Exhibition – featuring the work of artists who have captured the Easter Festival vibe in the form of a painting displayed from 10am onwards
- Go for a drive through the countryside taking the long way to Castlemaine by leaving the Calder and getting among the towns of Mount Alexander Shire: Maldon, Newstead, Guildford and Castlemaine together with the surrounding countryside offer food and wine, arts and natural beauty. If you’re in Castlemaine before 2pm pop into the artists market at Western Reserve and the beautiful Buda historic house and garden which is open 10am to 5pm.
Monday April 2
Maldon is particularly fun at Easter time, with a Hole in One competition at Maldon Golf Club on Easter Saturday, the Maldon Vintage Machinery Museum holding their annual Easter Machinery Rally across the weekend and an Easter Parade on Easter Monday featuring a collection of things Maldonian, from fire trucks to the Garden Club, penny farthing bicycles to occasional political statements.